Using Everyday Dies for Cultural Cards | Rakshabandhan Card Ideas (Hindu Festival)

 Hello and welcome back to my blog!

I hope everyone is having a great weekend. I have a bit of a different card post today and I'm going to show you how to use your everyday craft supplies to make cultural cards (well, one in particular). I want to show you that it doesn't really matter which background you are from and which festivals/events you celebrate, you can use your current stash and modify your items to your liking to fit your occasion. 

Here's a little background on this card. During this month in the Indian calendar, there is a festival that is celebrated called Rakshabandhan. This is a Hindu festival and it is usually when brothers and sisters come together to spend time together and celebrate the bond they share as siblings. The sister will tie a bracelet called a 'rakhi' on their brother's hand as a symbol of their bond and she will give him sweets to mark the day. The brother will usually give the sister a small monetary gift as a thank you and this entire gesture is to keep their bond strong through time. I usually celebrate this yearly along with a lot of Hindus. So I actually make these cards every year and I wanted to share them with you. 

The video below is very easy to follow and I'll show you exactly how I  made this beauty!

I encourage you to look through your stash and like I mentioned, there are so many supplies you can use and tailor to your own cultural needs. I chose this Spellbinders Trefoil Tile & Panel Card Creator Dies (DOM Feb 2021) because it actually had the look of diyas that we use to light up around the house during the hindu festival of Diwali. I know that there are a lot of other crafty supplies from various companies for other festivals from other backgrounds. For example, I know Gina K covers Hannukah in some of her Christmas sets and I love that Altenew has quite a few items for Eid, Hannukah and many other backgrounds. I specifically love the  Altenew Candlelight Stamp set, which I used on the inside of this card as it has a diya image that perfectly suits this card! Not to mention that this set has a few other simple candles, and I know candles or lights are common amongst many backgrounds and celebrations. 

If you watch the video, I will also show you how to make the Om Sign for this card which is indicative of the Hindu background. Since I can't seem to find a stamp or die for this sign anywhere, I decided to make one myself with simple Number dies which I'm sure everyone has a set of in their stash. I used the Birch Press Designs Sugar Script Numbers dies but you can use anything you have on hand. With a little bit of creativity, you can probably figure out how to make any cultural symbol for your own background. 

I also created a few more similar cards for the same occasion but made them to be mini slimline cards. Since I was making so many, I opted to use embossing folders for the backgrounds and just used a simple stamp set for the interior decor. 



All of the products used are listed below:

- Hero Arts Brushed Strokes Stamp set (discontinued)
- Birch Press Sugar Script Numbers (discontinued)

Products for 3 additional cards:




So please, look through the items in your stash and see what you can use. I love the saying "the possibilities are endless", but it is so very true! Whatever occasion it may be, you can always tailor your items to work for you - just use your imagination. 

I hope you've been inspired by this card and please feel free to leave a comment as I love hearing from you!





Comments

Popular Posts