Refashioning Occasion-Specific Dies

Hello and welcome back!

Today I'm going to show you how to refashion your occasion-specific dies and use them for more generic cards. What I mean by this is, for example, the SSS Outline Floral Mom die has a MOM sentiment right in the center of the die. Now I don't want to make a card for mom, but I love the floral border the die has. So I'm going to use the border and cover up the MOM-portion of the die with a piece of cardstock.

For an in depth look at how this card was made, you can watch the process video below (which also includes some very helpful tips). 


I started out with the Spellbinders Sweet Blooms Border glimmer plate and using Aura Foil, I glimmered the left and right side of a turquoise 5'' x 7" Recollections cardstock. I then cut out the SSS Outline Floral Mom Die with K & Company Jubilee cardstock that matched my turquoise cardstock. I cut a piece of light pink Recollection cardstock to cover up the MOM sentiment. I then, glimmered a birthday sentiment using Gold Foil and the Let Your Sentiments Shine Brighter glimmer plate set. I used some Kitsch Flamingo Distress Ink to add a faded pink to the top and bottom of my sentiment piece. 

Finally, I die cut and assembled out of pink and white cardstock some floral elements from the Spellbinders Simply Perfect Layered Blooms die set. I'm so excited to finally have this die set as I've been waiting to get it since it came out and its virtually sold out everywhere! Anyways, I arranged all of these pieces on my glimmered turquoise card front and adhered it all down some Be Creative double sided adhesive and BearlyArt Glue. I then added some Nuvo Aqua Shimmer pen to the floral die cuts and some Gold Stickles for the center of the big flower. I then embellished it with some AB Crystal Lollibeads - these are really nice gemstone looking, iridescent jewels that I found on Amazon and a creative must-have! Click the link to get your own, I guarantee you will be amazed!

Now for the card inside, I glimmered a 10" x 5" (center fold) white card base with the same Aura Foil along the bottom edge of the card. I then did some copic colouring with my Copic Ciaos Set A with some Blue-Greens (BG09, BG15, BG23, BG10), Browns (E35, E33, E21) and Yellows (Y17, Y06, Y02). I added a sentiment from the Altenew Say It With Love stamp set, inking up the typed portion in Nocturne VersaFine Clair ink and the script portion with Warm Breeze VersaFine Clair ink. 

Finally, I adhered the card front to the card base and trimmed off any over hangs. Now since this card inside has a bit of copic colouring, there is a bit of bleed through to the back of the cardstock (even though this is pretty heavy duty cardstock). So I cut a piece of turquoise cardstock (like the card front) and adhered it to the back of the card for a clean look. 


And that's my final card! I bought this MOM die on sale from SSS during Mother's Day weekend and instead of waiting an entire year to get to use this, I refashioned it for use now. I thought this was a very cool way to stretch the use of my dies and I encourage you to search through your stash and try and do the same.  I would love to see what you create so don't be afraid to leave a comment - I love hearing from you!


Comments

Popular Posts