Getting The Right Consistency | My Gouache Painting Journey

 Hello Friends and Crafters!

Today I have the second installment for "My Gouache Painting Journey". Each time I attempt a painting, I learn something new. And with painting the daisy background card shown here, I started to figure out the correct consistency to get my gouaches to for painting. I also decided to take a couple of my other paintings and turn them into cards.

Watch the Reel On YouTube

Like what you're seeing? Pin this picture for later on Pinterest!

Here are some more photos of this painting and the finished cards. To see a short video of these cards, simply click the YouTube Video Short link above.  

With this painting daisy background, I realized that I wasn't adding enough water because I was afraid of making the paints look too much like watercolours (which is something you can do with gouaches by adding lots of water). I figured out that you need to get the paint to a creamy consistency to get full opaque coverage without losing any vibrance. 


I also figured out, that when paintng a deeply coloured background like this, you should build the colour. Especially since I used white on top of the blue! I found that it was hard to get the white to be white without it picking up the blue underneath. I actually had to add a few layers of white to get a white daisy and even then you can still see some bleeding of the blue in the image below.


To make this into a card, I added some stitched embossing on the edges. I added a foiled sentiment using the Pinkfresh Studio Sentiment Foil Plate and die set. And I adhered this panel to a white mini slimline card base.


If you're following me on FB or IG, you've probably seen this painting before. I simply added another Pinkfresh Studio foiled sentiment and some clear gems. I also cut the panel down a bit and added it to a white card base.


This is another painting you've probably seen and again, I added a Pinkfresh Studio Brushed Sentiments foiled sentiment and some AB Clear Gems. This card is 5" x 7" unlike the first two which are unconventional sizes. So I'll have to make some custom envelopes for those.


And that's it for my Gouache Painting Journey today!

As always, thanks for stopping by. And don't forget to leave me a comment, as I love hearing from you! And don't forget to follow me on Instagram @deezinesbyd where I have a ton more inspiration!

xx

Comments

Popular Posts